Tuesday, October 29, 2013

October Breast Health Awareness Month -- Week 5

Last month, you may have read about Texas government’s attempts at placing parameters on what “navigators” could do related to insurance enrollment.  With so much attention now being given to what we call Navigators and/or Community Health Workers, I’d like to once again “put a face” to the issue.

It was 2:30 and the next appointment would be with Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst.  Nearly 100 advocates for breast health had traveled to Austin to share with the 83rd Legislature our support of current prevention efforts in Texas and our hopes for the future.  Six of us were scheduled for a photo op with the Lieutenant Governor.  When he arrived, he greeted each person in our delegation as the photographer arranged us. After the photographs were taken, as he was about to excuse himself, Maria stepped forward.

“I am a Community Health Worker,” she said, craning her neck to look up at him.  “I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008 and I was not insured. I found help through The Rose.”
She pointed to me and quickly continued, “I would never have found treatment without The Rose. I was confused and searching for answers. And then I met my Patient Navigator. My Navigator was with me all the way. She was there to help me find doctors. She made the appointments.  I probably would have died without her.  When I got well, I realized I had to do something to help other women -- other women like me who didn’t have insurance, didn’t know what to do and needed someone to help them find treatment.  I quit my job of 15 years and went to Houston Community College for training and to become a Community Health Worker.”
I don’t know how she managed it, but in a split second suddenly a card appeared in her hand and she held it up at him.
“This is my card and it means I am a certified Community Health Worker and with it I can help women living anywhere in Texas get treatment.”
Lt. Gov. Dewhurst not only acknowledged Maria’s story, he began to ask questions. We shared that the terms Community Health Worker and Patient Navigator are used interchangeably; that at The Rose, a certified Patient Navigator takes that newly diagnosed woman by the hand and makes sure they get timely and appropriate treatment; and that our dream is to see Community Health Workers/Patient Navigators recognized as legitimate healthcare professionals with their services reimbursable under Medicare, Medicaid and all insurance companies.

He listened and then asked me if I could summarize what we had just said for the meeting he was returning to. I said, “Absolutely!” and was soon standing before several Senators reiterating the importance of Patient Navigators. Legislation being a rather slow process, we didn’t expect miracles in 2013. But thanks to Maria, we were heard.

Maria is still being heard. She is now on staff at The Rose and daily she makes the calls, finds the connections, and discovers the resources that will ensure our patients have the treatment options they need.
Dorothy Gibbons, CEO and Co-Founder of The Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment