Friday, November 4, 2011

Shrimp, Goats, Bikes, Boards & Parachutes (continued)-- Day 19 of 25 Memories -- A Countdown to Our 25th Anniversary Gala by Dorothy Gibbons

Recently I got “up close and personal” with another of our newer fundraisers – the Jump for The Rose led by the courageous Marian Sparks.  Marian, like many, found herself without insurance after a divorce but jumped at the chance to have a “free mammogram” through a screening program at San Jacinto Hospital in Baytown.   

When her mammogram indicated there was a problem, she was given a sheet of paper showing different places she could go next -- one was The Rose.  Later, when Marian presented her first Jump for The Rose check, she told a small group of us, “I had never heard of The Rose before but I liked the sound of the name.”  She went on to say, “I didn’t know what to expect but when I came into the building I thought, ‘Oh my gosh, this place is huge! And, just as I’d been told, it’s beautiful. Even so, everything was so scary.  If I had ever had any idea that I would be seen by Dr. Melillo who would later also be my surgeon, I would have known right away I was in good hands.  I was treated with such kindness and nobody knew I didn’t have insurance.”  
Tears filled my eyes hearing her words confirming what we try to do day in and day out.
After the biopsy, Dixie told Marian the news.  Yes she did have breast cancer, but the good news was it was very small.  Marian knew she was at high risk, being the daughter of a breast cancer survivor who had undergone a double mastectomy.  She began juggling all the questions involved in finding help and supporting herself.  A victim of Hurricane Ike with a house still in need of repairs, now cancer was one more obstacle.   Most of all, she was worried about how she would take care of herself and most of all how she would pay for the chemotherapy.

That was when Dixie told Marian that The Rose was going to take care of her.

Marian has a hard time taking this in. “I can’t believe you are going to do this for me,” she said.

Dixie responded, “Why do you think I started this place?”

Marian was stunned, “You started this place?"

Dixie smiled, “Yes with another woman.  I got tired of women coming to me with breast cancer and I couldn’t help.”  She went on to explain that as a non-profit organization, people raise money for The Rose, all kinds of people and corporations, plus grants.
Marian hugged Dixie and said, “Dr. Melillo when I get well, I’m going to raise money for you and The Rose.”

The idea of having a fundraiser started then and there. You see, before Marian was divorced, uninsured and battling breast cancer, she was an avid skydiver—chalking up over 800 dives. She had found a way to fund her passion by getting a Coach rating and teaching.  She even ran a small restaurant as another way to have money to jump with a friend from a Four Way Team which eventually went to National Competition.
As a way to give back, this remarkable and courageous soul started Jump for The Rose -- a skydiving event that has since established itself as a 501c (3) -- and, after only two years, raised nearly $25,000.
I attend as many events as I can. Walking through the crowds, meeting the women we’ve helped, hearing the stories of family members is inspiring. Once upon a time I heard almost every story there was to hear at The Rose because the “administrative office” was separated from the “clinical department” by only a bookcase! I miss that direct contact with our patients and am glad for the opportunities when they come along these days.

When Marian told us about this year’s event, I casually mentioned that I have always wanted to skydive.  “Why don’t you?” she asked. “Come out and do a tandem jump!”  She was elated.
Unfortunately, when the day of the jump came around so did some clouds and a tandem jump was ruled out for the day. The weather didn’t stop the experienced folks though and Marian and her crew set a new state record skydive consisting of 27 women performing three separate, intricate formations in a single skydive.
After seeing that feat, I planned on redeeming that rain check ASAP … and did … the very next week!
We were out at Skydive Spaceland early on an October Saturday. I donned the jumpsuit and heard the instructions, at least most of them. I will admit to being a bit awe struck at what I was about to do. Soon enough we were walking toward the small craft that would take us up. And then, secured to my new best friend, Matt, I stood in that open door, looking down at nothing between me and the earth below.
We jumped and those first few seconds were exhilarating as we plunged downward with incredible speed. It was amazing and before I knew it hands where holding my arm as Marian and her friends connected to me in yet another formation.  And then it happened.
Matt pulled the cord and with a jerk, we were thrust upward and just as suddenly we were floating. It was so quiet and peaceful.  I could see the bay of Galveston, the countryside and the sun just high enough in the sky to cast a golden glow on everything it touched. 
The metaphor wasn’t lost on me. While this experience was the first time I had done it out of a perfectly good airplane, I’d made my Jump for The Rose 25 years ago. What a ride that has been—mostly exhilarating--sometimes jerked this way and that. Often wondering where our next funding source to care for our clients might come from. But in the end, in tandem with people who believe in our mission, at peace and taking in every incredible second of the ride.

To see Dorothy's tandem Jump for The Rose, click here.

This memory is one of 25 short stories written by Dorothy Gibbons, the Co-founder and CEO of The Rose, a nonprofit breast cancer organization. She and Dr. Dixie Melillo received the 501C3 documents for The Rose in 1986. A memory will be shared daily, culminating with number 25 on the day The Rose celebrates its 25th anniversary November 10.

© 2011 Dorothy Gibbons. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment